Saturday, November 24, 2007

Good bye houston

I'm waitng for my plane to take me home. Home is a relative term, though, as I used to consider houston home. People would ask where I was from and i'd claim houston as I lived here for three of my childhood years - longer than any place until I went to mexico city for all of high school - but can you count a foreign country as home? So I believed houston was as much as anywhere. I always remembered our address: 11707 glenway dr houston tx 77070. I loved my years here. My sister andrea, though, hated her years here - funny that she's the one who now lives here again. She pointed out that one of my worst life experiences happened while we lived here and we watched more R rated traumatizing movies here. Not to mention the monster sized roaches we'd battle daily. Ah, the memories! i'm glad I have them and i'm glad they all happened. And i'm glad we could drive by our old house last night and reminisce. The dark brown wood inside seems to now be white and we spied an exercise machine in our old dining room - but the stairs where I spent many quiet reflective moments appeared to be a similar hue of brown and the arches where we found countless locust shells still frame the porch and the yard seems to have never ridded itself of pine needles. And I was really happy to see that the elementary school at the mouth of our street still has an armadillo as its mascot. I only wish we'd had time to walk around the playground and surrounding woods.

2 comments:

littlemikemack said...

Smallish world....passing thru via Jules and her Christmas tag....

That house "is" Houston in my mind...the zip 77070 was somewhat familiar too. My wife grew up in Ponderosa Forest...off of 1960...
after we married we lived in Spring, off of Spring Cypress and on the other side of 249.

Again, if someone where to show me pic of that house....and ask me what city it was in...I'd respond "Houston" in a heartbeat.

Sorry for the ramble...one more thing... you mentioned the pine needles....stick with me...as I stopped in Starbuck this morning...(far N. Dallas 'burb)...I stopped and looked at these 17 pine trees on the corner of this strip shopping center...I knew these tress were always there, but never before had I noticed the "needle mess"....and I actually counted the pine trees.

Strange strange strange...

take care

plainoldsarah said...

mike thanks for stopping by! i'm glad i could trigger some memories for you. i thought the same thing of the homes when i was down there - how uniquely "houston" they were. they still seem like the ideal home to me. i can't figure out why homes elsewhere don't have the same look and feel. i think they lack pine needles. by the way, when i lived there we were in the cypress ward - so i'm sure we're talking the same place. we lived in "lake forest" which i've since learned is monstrously large.