Thursday, October 10, 2013

Chocolate cake for breakfast

It was one of those sleep in days when the weather is perfectly "fall" and I want something yummy for breakfast. So today I took my favorite Hershey's chocolate cake recipe and made it oil and dairy free and instead of sugar I used dates and agave syrup. So good and healthy enough to eat for breakfast with no guilt. Yum! Here's a recipe, but keep in mind I'm never very good about being exact when I cook so this is my best guess at what I did. It probably sounds complicated, but that's because I'm using a traditional recipe and tweaking it. I'm not sure if all the steps and ingredients are essential, but it worked for me and I would be willing to try it again!

My Healthy Version of Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake
(see recipe on back of Hershey's Cocoa tubs for the original)

3/4 C and 2 TB flour (I use ground whole white wheat.)
1/2 C and 2 TB cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
8 dates
1 C water
1 TB ground flax seed
1/2 C non-dairy milk (or use water)
1/4 C applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 C agave nectar or some other sweetener of choice
1/2 C boiling water


Put dates in 1 C water and nuke for two minutes until soft. Combine flour through salt (first five ingredients) together in mixing bowl. In separate bowl drain liquid off the dates and mix with the ground flax seed. Combine soft dates with milk, applesauce, vanilla, and agave in a food processor or using an immersion blender to make sure the dates are ground up. Add the flax seed - should be thickish after sitting a bit. Now add all the dries to this wet mixture and beat for about 2 min. Can just do it in the food processor. Finally, stir in the boiling water, making the batter thinner. Pour into a silicone round or 8x8 pan, or is using traditional 8x8 pan, make sure it is greased in some way. Bake for 20 minutes at 350, or until the toothpick comes out clean.



1 comment:

Tracie said...

Sounds yum! Must have recipe!