Friday, December 19, 2008

gifts

sometimes receiving gifts from students is rather awkward. today, after handing out my usual "holiday cards" to my reading students, one girl approached me afterward asking if i liked fragrances. then she proceeded to give me three different bath and body products - all different flavors because, as she said, she didn't know what one i'd like. that was only a bit awkward because it was way more than i needed or deserved, but the most awkward part was when a boy standing nearby (who has some major social challenges) insisted he would bring me a gift too and asked what i liked. i kept saying i was fine and didn't need anything - just wanted him to be on time to class, blah blah. he kept offering jewelry and candy, and i finally insisted he could just write me a nice note, like what i gave. so he left promising me he'd write a poem over the holiday break. did i mention he's only been in my class less than two weeks?
now i smell like wild honeysuckle. :)

2 comments:

Pinky Lovejoy-Coogan said...

I'm just envisioning that little girl at the store with her mom trying to pick out the "perfect" gift for her teacher. Too cute! :) And the boy? Bless his heart....

Marie said...

That is awkward -- no matter how good and deserving the teacher (and I'm sure you're both).