Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Lonesome Dove

i've been reading it for the last couple of weeks and i have to say it is one of those books that's so good it just leaves you drained. it's over 900 pages - it's like watching the entire first season of the o.c., or buffy, or alias, or any dramatic epic story all in the span of a few days - it's that engrossing. sunday night, by making myself go to bed at 10 p.m., i felt the joy that comes from being free of an addiction and monday morning i felt it too - my eyes weren't so achey and my joints weren't so stiff. last night i intended to do the same - i can totally attest that going to bed early is better for you than sleeping in (or in my case, trying to sleep in) - but good intentions often go the way of the world and next thing you know it's 1 a.m. and it takes all your remaining energy to close the book and turn off the lights. so i'm currently taking an eye strain break - by looking at the computer screen. hmmm, i guess i should have gone for a walk. anyway, i think if i push hard today i can finish it tonight BEFORE midnight. actually, the visiting teachers are coming at 7:30 so that's my target time. i wonder what i'll read next.

anyway - i MEANT to say that this is a really good book. i can't remember the last book that made me smile big and cry hard. i find myself wishing hard i could be one of the female characters, i even try to imagine in my head how i could behave or speak differently so i could be more like them. now, in case you've read the book, don't get me wrong - the women in this book are generally whores - but i don't want to be like them in that sense but more in the sense of self awareness and courage. yes, i want to be tough and strong and brave and independent, at least in spirit. anyway, i guess i should say they're inspiring - i don't REALLY want to be like them, i just find myself being a bit inspired. if you haven't read it, make sure you have about a week of your life to kill. it's thicker and more intense than any measly harry potter.

okay, back to my book.

7 comments:

jenniferhoiyin said...

This is most definitely on my "to read" list. I love characters that inspire me. I tend to do the same thing, think of ways to translate it to the 21st century and my own little life.

It's always a bit sad, the days directly after, when you've finished such a great book. I just finished my own and I'm in search for another too... however I don't have a week to kill, but maybe spread over two weeks. :)

Jules said...

I'm glad you don't want to be whorish.

I'm staying up as late as my eyelids will let me to watch the Olympics tonight...even though tomorrow is the first day with students. They don't need my best on the first day, right? :-)

plainoldsarah said...

jen - what did you read?
jules - I agree - stay up late. I remember last year I went to see the avett brothers the night before school started - total kick in the pants.

Joy said...

I was just thinking about this book. One of my all-time favorites.

plainoldsarah said...

sherpa - my book club chose it because i took the list YOU posted of pulitzer prize winners and shared it with them. we chose it from the list - so thanks for getting me to read it! =)

bug girl said...

This book is on my pile o'books to read in the near future. Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much.

plainoldsarah said...

you won't be sorry kim - rescue it from the pile - consume!