Thursday, October 11, 2012

Roasted spaghetti sauce

A few weeks ago I received a TON of tomatoes. I froze a bunch, gave more away, made a huge batch of salsa, and tried a couple spaghetti sauces. My husband doesn't like spaghetti so I was on a quest to find a recipe he would like. I wound up finding a couple that I tweaked until I had perfected a sauce we both liked. Trouble is, for the life of me I can't find those notes! And today I received over six pounds of tomatoes again. So again I made a huge batch of salsa (to appease the husband) and pulled out a bunch that might last a few days and then took the rest and tried to recreate the perfect spaghetti sauce. I think I came close, so for future reference, here is what I did.

6 pounds of tomatoes
1 large onion
4 carrots
few splashes of balsamic vinegar
1/2 C fresh basil
1/4 C fresh parsley

Chop the tomatoes, onion, and carrots. Toss with vinegar (and oil if you are feeling like it). Roast them all in the oven at 400 for 60 minutes.
Roughly chop the herbs and throw them in a large pot with the garlic.
Once the vegetables are roasted pour them on top of the herbs.
Let them sit and "cook" for a bit.
Puree with an immersion blender and pour into jars.
I opted to freeze mine. This made about 6-8 cups of sauce.
8 cloves of garlic

No comments: