Sunday, February 10, 2008

singing

i love singing. some of my favorite childhood memories (and current ones) have to do with singing along with family members. i think everyone in my family enjoys it. when father passed away people commented that they were going to miss hearing his voice at church. i remember as a child someone said they could sit in the back of the chapel and hear dad when he was conducting the music. stories like that always made me proud and want to sing stronger. when i was reading ny times article today about how much americans love a good sing-along, i couldn't help but want to share the quote that seemed to sum up my feelings: “No one can prove a damn thing,” Mr. Seeger said in a recent interview, “but I think that singing together gives people some kind of a holy feeling. And it can happen whether they’re atheists, or whoever. You feel like, ‘Gee, we’re all together.’ ”

1 comment:

Jules said...

I totally agree with this! Sometimes I wish I was unable to play the piano so I could sing more often.